Buying, selling, or licensing patents?
Or you are a lawyer involved in such a transaction?
We can help.
Title to registered Canadian patents is transferred by filing a formal “assignment”.
We help with:
- Due diligence
- Portfolio analysis
- The legal agreements
- Preparing assignments
- Filing assignments to change the ownership of trademark registrations
Assignments of patents must be registered in the country of the patent to effect a change of the ownership on the patent register. The rules for valid assignments in Canada and the US are slightly different.
In order to register a valid patent assignment in Canada:
- the assignment must be signed by the assignor
- the signature of the assignor must be witnessed
- the signature of the assignee is not required
- the assignment does not need to be notarized
- the government fee is $100
- our fee to assist with the preparation of an assignment is $175+
- our fee to register an already prepared assignment is $200